As we wait for Atlus’ official Shiren 3 (Wii) localization due next Spring and Xvirus’ unofficial Shiren DS 2 (a remake of the second GBC game) translation patch, the latest Famitsu revealed Shiren 4 for DS, releasing in Japan this Winter.
Here’s what I’ve picked up about the game so far:
- Chunsoft is developing it, with Dragon Quest composer and nationalist nut Koichi Sugiyama again working on the music
- Spike, not Sega, is publishing the game in Japan
- The game takes place on an island that Shiren and Koppa have shipwrecked on
- Fitting with the island setting, you eat bananas
- There is a day and night cycle, which brings out different monsters, affects your vision distance, and has other effects depending on the time
- Some monsters have an “aura” that you can see, indicating enhanced abilities/effects
- A fence of spears shoots up and blocks the entrance of dungeon shops (perhaps this only happens once you pick up an item?)
- Though unavailable until later in the game, Shiren has a new “Tech” action along with his normal attacks, enabling him to pull off special attacks like hitting multiple monsters
Please keep in mind that my Japanese isn’t as advanced as JC’s — my translation skills being limited to using Babel Fish — so it’s possible some of my details are inaccurate.
I’m also unsure about the new anime-style artwork; it’s not nearly as epic, detailed, or attractive as the art in previous games. Apparently there’s a cowgirl, a pirate, and some sort of sea creature in the game? Perhaps they’re your new companions, replacing Kechi, Oryu, and Pekeji. And, um, is that a floating banana guy at the top right?
I suspect the huge tiger will play a prominent role — I mean, he’s in the logo and all. There will probably be a ton of monkeys, too. Hopefully, they’ll be as useful and memorable as the monkeys in Link’s Awakening and Link to the Past, but I doubt they will be.
Preorder: Shiren the Wanderer Wii ($39.99)
Courtesy of 2 Player Productions, we will give away three copies of 8bitpeoples’ landmark release Blip Festival 2008, a two-disc collection of live songs from all 32 artists/groups that performed at last year’s premiere chiptune show.
The four-day concert’s lineup was nuts — Bit Shifter, Minusbaby, Anamanaguchi, Nullsleep, USK, etc. — so if you follow the micromusic scene, you already know it’s off the chain, off the hook, and off the wickkity doo-dah yezzelbar. Plus, we will also throw in 2PP’s Blip Festival 2006 and 2007 DVDs to sweeten the pot.
To enter, leave a comment in any of our chiptune and music posts over the next two weeks (this includes audio posts and any other music-focused media/links we put up) before October 6th, 11:59 EST. Running our giveaway like this has three advantages:
- We ensure that the people who actually follow this niche interest will win the prizes
- It motivates us to post more chiptune songs
- I have an excuse to listen to something other than Raekwon’s Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… Pt. II for the first time in two weeks
As usual, please refrain from leaving us crap comments to sift through — we prefer messages that have substance to them and will ignore any frivolous junk.
Look out for more music posts in the future so you can win a copy of the two-disc set. You can listen to my favorite song from the album here, as well as stream the entire deal through the Blip Festival 2008 Bandcamp page.
Before you ask, yes, commenting in this post counts as a giveaway entry. Yezzelbarr!