69 posts tagged intelligent systems
Even though it’s just a slight discount at Amazon, we make sure to mention whenever Fire Emblem: Awakening gets a discount because it’s that good! Also, we get to dig for and share goofy pic like this pining photo with Chrom, posted by Chamie. Her caption: ”Goodbye mom, goodbye dad, my husband has finally come for me, it’s been fun.”
There’s another 3DS RPG discounted at Amazon right now, too: Shin Megami Tensei IV for $19.99.
First look at Codename S.T.E.A.M. ⊟
Here are the first screenshots from Intelligent Systems’ turn-based action strategy game coming to 3DS next year! S.T.E.A.M., by the way, stands for “Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace”.
BUY Nintendo 2DS & 3DS/XL, upcoming games
New 3DS game: Codename S.T.E.A.M. ⊟
Nintendo’s big mystery project is a cel-shaded steampunk game developed by Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem, Advance Wars). It’s a turn-based action strategy title in which you control soldiers from a group called S.T.E.A.M that’s led by Abraham Lincoln and fights invading aliens. Yeah.
The gameplay sounds very Valkyria Chronicles-ish, in that it’s third-person shooting/action, and you can switch between the four characters in your squad. There are even Action Points for movement/commands — your units run on steam, and have boilers on their backs with gauges indicating how much they have left. You’ll also have Overwatch attacks that let you attack enemies during their turn.
While character designs in Codename S.T.E.A.M. are inspired by Silver Age comic books from artists like Jack Kirby and Bruce Timm, the bug-like alien enemies riff on HP Lovecraft creatures. The weapon designs for main characters are based on animal motifs that tie into their personalities (e.g. an eagle rifle). No word yet on whether there’s a steampunk cat.
Apparently the game will not have online play, but it will have multiplayer that’s online? Yeah, that sounds contradictory, so I’m not sure what that means. Maybe play-by-email-style multiplayer?
BUY Nintendo 2DS & 3DS/XL, upcoming games
I wonder what Tharja has been reading… ⊟
Oh, those are some interesting books. Sorc Booty makes more sense if you’ve seen some of the other angles for Max Factory’s Tharja figure. Figure no Oni has plenty of photos taken from those angles, though I picked this relatively innocent one from their gallery for this post.
Fire Emblem: Awakening & Bravely Default for $32 each ⊟
Another stellar 3DS RPG on sale! Fire Emblem: Awakening is just $31.99 on Amazon right now, while Bravely Default is $31.66. At those prices, you can get two of the best RPGs from the last two years, for the same you’d pay if you bought something butt on a console like Lightning Returns.
Answers to your Fire Emblem & SMT IV promotion questions
We already announced this $30 eShop credit deal yesterday, but now we can provide hard details instead of speculation:
- You will need to buy both Fire Emblem: Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV to receive the $30 eShop credit
- This works with both digital and retail copies — just make sure to register your Club Nintendo codes (if you bought a limited edition Fire Emblem 3DS, link your system with Club Nintendo)
- It doesn’t matter if you already bought Fire Emblem: Awakening months ago; all you need to do is register both games and complete their registration surveys before August 31
- You can use the credit on any eShop product (3DS or Wii U) you want, but you’ll need to retrieve your special code from the Club Nintendo site before September 31, and redeem the code on the eShop before December 31
- You can get only one $30 credit per Club Nintendo account, and both game codes must be registered to the same account
- North America only
I know it’s tempting to pick up a recent full-game release like Project x Zone or whatevs with the credit, but please consider grabbing some of the small but quality eShop titles out there! I’m sure a few dozen sites will release guides on fun games to blow your credit on soon.
Hey, that Tharja figure turned out pretty nice!
This is the first time I’ve seen Max Factory’s figure for the Fire Emblem: Awakening character colored, and this looks great! The sculpting on the cape, in particular, appears masterfully done. Oh, what’s that? There are some more photos that Max Factory posted showing other less work-safe angles? Oh. OH. Nevermind.
Oh. My. God. This Chrom butt mousepad.
Happy belated birthday to Google Chrom, by the way. You’ll find lots of great tributes to the Fire Emblem: Awakening hero from yesterday around the internet, including the infamous artwork Frederick commissioned for the prince. This is all NSFW, of course.
I haven’t seen many (if any) discounts for this game since it released three months ago, so a $5-off sale seems like a big deal! I doubt there are many people who own a 3DS but don’t have this yet, though…
Fire Emblem: Awakening's latest DLC release Summer Scramble lets players see a selection of characters in their swimwear, but in the case of Tharja, Nintendo of America decided it didn’t want to show too much of the Dark Mage.
Meanwhile in Japan, Nintendo has no problems with allowing licensees to create these lewd Tharja figures. At least the company didn’t edit this out, which is what everyone really wanted from the Summer Scramble DLC:
Donnel, you overpowered idiot
Fire Emblem: Awakening is out in Europe this week! Celebrate with links:
- @AwakeningBot - tweets support, story, and battle dialogue from the game
- Cordelia tries to get preachy, but Sumia dgaf
- Perfect Sumia cosplay, minus the feet of course
- Gaius hilarity
- The amazebutts OST set - “Marth” spoilers
- Msilt posted the Donnel pics above
If you are in Europe, I suggest picking up Fire Emblem: Awakening. It is pretty decent if you are into Japanese video games and Japanimation.
Sketches of Fire Emblem: Awakening promo/packaging art
Two related things to read during your lunch break today:
- FE: Awakening character designer Yusuke Kozaki answered some questions on Reddit
- Localization team 8-4 conducted an Iwata Asks-style interview with several developers from Intelligent Systems
The latter item has a lot of great stuff, like the images we’ve shared above!