19 posts tagged pax
Another four indie games join the PS Vita list ⊟
We’re going to run out of indie developers to make games for the PS Vita by the end of the year at this rate — especially now that Sony has formed a Third Party Production group tasked with bringing new IPs, ports, and localized products to PlayStation systems. The PS Vita edition for Borderlands 2 is the first of that team’s projects.
Here are those four interesting games that were just announced for PS Vita this PAX weekend:
- The first is Cosmic Star Heroine, which we have the trailer for here. We don’t have gameplay footage, but we know it’s a “Retro Sci-fi RPG” from Zeboyd Games, maker of Cthulhu Saves the World. There will be a Kickstarter for the PS Vita/PS4 project in the near future.
- We also have a Nicalis port for Terry Cavanagh’s gravity-flipping puzzle-platformer VVVVVV. It’s great on the 3DS eShop and PC, so I’m sure it will be great on PS Vita.
- And there’s yet another roguelike! This time a puzzle hybrid called Road Not Taken from Spry Fox (Realm of the Mad God, Triple Town). Watch the trailer at that link. Very interesting!
- Hitbox Team’s sweep’em up platformer Dustforce is also making its way to PS Vita courtesy of Capcom.
You guys said you wanted more indie and PS Vita coverage…
BUY PS Vita ($200, including Walking Dead bundle!), upcoming games
Killer video game art like these pieces from dozens of contributors! Chip music performances from Virt, Danimal Cannon, and Super Soul Bros! Games from 17-BIT (Skulls o the Shogun) and Capy (Sword & Sworcery)! Drinks!
All of that for $10 at Seattle’s 1927 Events, from 7PM ‘til midnight. I am so jealous of everyone who gets to to this tonight. Don’t forget to tell Fangamer and Attract Mode who sent you there (and that they’re awesome people)!
"25 Most Wanted Villains" by Dominique Ferland ⊟
Another great piece that will be at the Fangamer x Attract Mode party next Saturday in Seattle! Prints for Dom2D’s piece above will be available for sale at the show without the Xs — the idea is you can mark off the bosses you’ve beaten yourself. I’m trying to add Olmec to my list right now.
"X and Y" by Maré Odomo ⊟
Shout outs to Pokémon trainers who have pink hair, or who are people of color, or who like to stand around looking cool while modeling the letters from the next Pokémon game.
Love these trainers, this concept, and the art show/party Maré created this for: Fangamer X Attract Mode, which opens in Seattle next week during PAX. Along with a buttload of pieces from a dream team of artists, the show will have games, music, and drinks.
Basically, if you are in the area and you don’t go, you are dumb. I’m sorry if that’s mean, but I’m bummed that I won’t be anywhere near Seattle next week.
PREORDER Pokemon X and Y, upcoming releases
Here’s what Retro City Rampage 3DS looks like ⊟
VBlank’s Brian Provinciano tells us that the 3DS eShop release will include the full game and the recently released (for PC/PSN) Retro+ Enhanced Graphics mode (doubled colors, dynamic shadows). It won’t, however, feature any stereoscopic when it hits this holiday season.
Retro City Rampage for 3DS will have playable demos at two kiosks in Nintendo’s PAX booth next week. Oh, and in case you’re wondering about the red 3D slider in the photos, that’s a 3DS dev unit.
Retro City Rampage coming to 3DS eShop ⊟
Buried in a press release about games it’s bringing to PAX, Nintendo let it slip that VBlank’s Retro City Rampage will make a stop on the 3DS eShop, after appearing on nearly every other console under the sun. The game will be playable at the event, as will WayForward’s Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse for the first time.
Other 3DS games playable at PAX include Pokemon X/Y, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Scribblenauts Unmasked, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, Sonic Lost World, and Summer Carnival ‘92: RECCA.
If you’re into Wii U stuff, there will also be plenty of upcoming games from big publishers and indies, a Wonderful 101 panel with creative director Hideki Kamiya, and a chance to buy Wonderful 101 two weeks early. S/o to Wampahugs for the pic.
Cool/creepy Cave Story Quote cosplayer with Cave Story creator Daisuke Amaya at PAX. If you never give up, and you believe in yourself, some day you’ll meet someone dressed up as the thing you made. Fatal Fury cap not guaranteed.
Buy: Cave Story 3D Find: Nintendo DS/3DS release dates, discounts, & more See also: More Cave Story posts
Mario, Link, and a Star Fox Arwing battle an amalgamation of their arch-enemies… In space! This illustration comes from Mitch Loidolt, and will be displayed and sold as a limited edition print at PAX’s Fangamer vs. Attract Mode show/party this Saturday night.
Buy: Star Fox 64 3D, Star Fox Command See also: More Star Fox stuff
If you’re at PAX, you should totally check out the lounge area (map here). You can play Nintendo’s upcoming lineup (including DQMJ2, two Kirby games, and I believe Rhythm Heaven!), eat Kirby-themed cotton candy, and collect this junk! You have to play games to collect the buttons, I believe, and collect buttons to “earn” more freebies.
And all you PAX attendees also need to make sure to stop by Booth #3838 to visit our friends from Attract Mode and Fangamer (I think Mare and Cory are there, too?)!
Eric and I are holding our respective forts this weekend, so it’s up to you to make it Party Slime.
See also: More Dragon Quest posts
Reveal trailer for Bit.Trip Fate, an upcoming WiiWare shoot’em up (on-rails?) starring CommanderVideo.
Bullet point features from the new official site:
- The Nunchuk controls CommanderVideo and the Wii Remote’s pointer fires anywhere on screen!
- Collect power-ups to call on CommanderVideo’s friends for powerful shot upgrades!
- A chiptune-inspired dubstep soundtrack helps bring the action to a whole new level!
- Video game worlds collide with appearances from Super Meat Boy and Mr. Robotube!
- Chipmusic artist Minusbaby helps set the tone with a special guest appearance!
See also: More Bit.Trip games
Insane Killer 7 shirt by Cory Schmitz (EXP), currently for sale at Attract Mode’s PAX booth — which is in the North Lobby’s Band Land area, next to Anamanaguchi’s setup.
I reaaaally hope Attract Mode eventually sells this tee online. They have a ton of other fantastic goods at PAX: LSDJ carts, modded game boys, a rad Street Fighter print by Corey Lewis, a Canabalt print by Adam ‘Atomic’ Saltaman, Pokemon comics, Japanese zines (8bit Love, The Eightbit Fighters Chronicles vol. 1), and copies of Fort90Zine #3, which I contributed to.
Plus, if you mention this post to the guys a PAX, you’ll receive $10 off a purchase totaling $50+ (considering all the neat stuff they have, you’ll likely spend that much).
See also: Visit our friends at PAX!
If you’re spending the weekend at the Penny Arcade Expo (thanks for making some time to check our site, btw!), please make sure you visit to our comrades at the event. And if you’ve cash to spare, please give them your monies, too.
- 2 Player Productions (Reformat the Planet), video game culture shop Attract Mode, Letters To An Absent Father artist Mare Odomo, EXP zine creator Cory Schmitz, and other talented folks are all sharing a booth, selling hella merchandise. You won’t find a nicer group of dudes (and dudettes) at PAX. Unfortunately, I’ve no idea where that booth is!
- Fangamer will also have lots of video game apparel and other goods to sell. Apparently, our friend Fort90 was even able to score a Tiny Cartridge pin (pictured) at the booth! We were surprised by the whole thing, too! You can visit them at booth #3838, which is near Square Enix’s huge setup on the fourth floor.
Disclaimer: We are currently running a contest with 2PP and Fangamer that is the fucking bees’ knees. We’re giving away Reformat the Planet DVDs, shirts, import DS games, Dragon Quest figures, and more. If you miss it, you’re basically a terrible person.